Thursday, November 4, 2010

Unit 19 Time:

Parents and followers of the Mr. Fierros 2nd Grade Class.
Unit 19 did not live up to our expectation of results, partly the short week, partly the test, and my own reason, the anachronism of time telling.
1. Short weeks really put a bind on lessons in math and reading.
2. The pacing requirement that our district has coupled with skipping over 15 chapters of math development really hurt our kids. ( The two step problems really stumped our kids including double digit subtraction)
3. Several questions particularly no. 4 and no. 8 really are tough.
    eg. no 4:  What time is shown on the clock?    (they show a digital clock)  4:45
           a.    half past 4
           b.   quarter past 5
           c.   quarter past 4
           d.   quarter to 5

First, I would have used an analog clock, so you can see the hands and positions.
Two, (personal opinion) We rarely use these terms anymore.  With the digital clock and watches being so common I honestly don't see how most folks even use these terms unless you are as old as I am...

I sending home the test. I am debating whether on how to curve this test.   If I do curve what I'll do is post the original grade, then post the curved grade, the average of the two should compensate quite nicely.
Please note I am taking homework in consideration and that should also maintain your child's grades.

No comments:

Post a Comment